After the war ended in 1945, the family decided to close Strait's Mill and Lumber Company and build a new facility a couple blocks west. No longer having a mill operation, they renamed the business Strait Lumber Company. In 1947 the new facility was completed and still stands today at 11150 E. Colfax Ave. Postwar business was good and by the 1950's Strait Lumber Company had grown to be a prominent retailer of lumber, paint, and hardware goods. However, in the 1970's and 1980's, the Aurora business dynamic began to shift. City Government and Municipal offices moved south leaving a void in original Aurora. Many local businesses, including Strait Lumber, found the need to evolve and change in order to coexist with not only the changed community but also with the bigger, national retail chains that were beginning to make their appearance in the Denver area. Gone were the days of thriving solely as a local "main street" business.
In 1978, M.L.'s son Mark returned to the business and subsequently became the family's third generation owner/operator. Since then, realizing the need for diversification of products and customer base, the company focus changed from retail to expanding builder business.
Keeping with the tradition of the past, Strait Lumber Company continues to operate as an independent, family owned operation with the awareness that future success is dependent on strong partnerships forged with both customers and community.